The president of the United States, who supposedly conquered the country three years ago,
- had to keep his visit secret even from the prime minister he was going to visit, until five minutes before their meeting.
- That tells me Bush's people don't trust Nuri al-Maliki very far.
- In fact, apparently Bush's people don't trust Bush's people very far-- only Cheney and Condi are said to have known about the trip in the US.
- And, Air Force One had to land after a sharp bank, to throw off any potential shoulder-held missile launchers in the airport area.
- The president couldn't go to the Green Zone in a motorcade, for fear of car bombs, but had to be helicoptered in.
- This ending says it all: "Bush left after night fell to return to Washington. The plane left at a steep angle with its lights out and the shades drawn."
(White House Press Secretary Tony Snow, left, and White House Counselor Dan Barlett, ride in a military helicopter wearing helmets and flak jackets for a trip from Baghdad International Airport to U.S. Embassy in the Greenzone Tuesday, June 13, 2006 in Baghdad, Iraq. Snow and Bartlett traveled with President Bush who made a surprise visit to Baghdad. (AP Photo/Pablo Martinez Monsivais)
Bush rode the same helicopter but apparently this is not a good photo op