For more than a century, the countries of America have been victims of
- the direct interventions of the U.S. army (Dominican Republic, Panama, Haiti, Puerto Rico…);
- the promotion, financing and training of local mercenaries and death squads to destablise adverse governments or revolutionary processes (Cuba, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Guatemala, Colombia...);
- the financing of opposition parties, terrorist acts and massive destabilisation campaigns (Venezuela, Bolivia, Ecuador...);
- and the support of coup d’états and military or civilian dictatorships (Chile, Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay, Honduras...).
Today, facing the world crisis and the relative decline of its economic power, the U.S. needs to guarantee its control with a strong military presence in the region. Seven Colombian bases, airports to land warplanes, the deployment of intelligence, ultimately a force of occupation in our territory, added to what has already existed since the 1962 doctrine of National Security, convert our country into a true beachhead of U.S. military deployment and bury any hope of building a democratic nation.
It’s no secret to anybody that Venezuela is trying to promote a different model of development to neo-liberalism,
- with social reforms,
- large state investments,
- improvement of the productive apparatus and sustainable growth;
- policies which are intolerable for the Colombian and U.S. ruling classes.