Thursday, July 22, 2010
These are some of my favourite lines:
* counterinsurgency: it’s like a wild horse, only you bet on it;
* counterinsurgency involves a thousand small healing steps;
* the manual can never be wrong, only the practice;
* cultural knowledge for the military: it’s so basic and fundamental, absolute common sense; and,
* basic common sense makes you so very smart.
Making the “application of force” (called killing, by regular human beings) more precise…and that makes it “humanitarian.” They must imagine themselves to be at the helm of a Global SPCA.
“I read The Economist,” when I want to learn about Africa. Africanists and African anthropologists: you’re dismissed.