Thursday, July 22, 2010

COUNTERINSURGENCY: ITS BLOODY HORRIBLE

Counter-Counterinsurgency: The Video from Maximilian Forte on Vimeo.



These are some of my favourite lines:

* counterinsurgency: it’s like a wild horse, only you bet on it;
* counterinsurgency involves a thousand small healing steps;
* the manual can never be wrong, only the practice;
* cultural knowledge for the military: it’s so basic and fundamental, absolute common sense; and,
* basic common sense makes you so very smart.

Making the “application of force” (called killing, by regular human beings) more precise…and that makes it “humanitarian.” They must imagine themselves to be at the helm of a Global SPCA.

“I read The Economist,” when I want to learn about Africa. Africanists and African anthropologists: you’re dismissed.

1 comment:

Maximilian C. Forte said...

Thank you! Had it not been for this link, I may not have discovered your site. So glad to see it, I have read through several other posts already. I will be adding your site to my list of special links.