Friday, June 11, 2010

Hmm, I think it is starting to get into the water. Where's the Rev John Hagee when you need him.


An Open Letter by Michael Omer-Man

After the Gaza Flotilla tragedy, American-Israeli Michael Omer-Man wrote the following letter to a friend in the U.S. who expressed concern about publicly criticizing Israeli policy.

I have not lived in The States for a handful of years now, so I'm no longer completely confident in my ability to gauge the direction of American or American-Jewish political leanings. I can, however, give an Israeli perspective.

In the past few years, I have seen a slow - but very significant - shift to the right in the Israeli public's political inclinations. Before I get into the implications of that, I find it necessary to explain a thing or two about the Israeli right that most Americans fail to grasp. The Right in Israel is much further right than most American Jews are able to comprehend.

Hmm, I'm beginning to think it's in the water, watch what you drink. Where's the Rev John Hagee when you need him. The fundamentalist-industrial complex is starting to wobble. And my god, there is another flotilla forming with Erdoğan at the helm, probably Galloway at the stern. Jeebus, if you live long enough, you see it all. Maybe the best don't lack all conviction? Nah.

No comments: